27 Jul 2012

Apron for Mishka

This is my third sewing project, and I finished it before my second one, the tartan dress. I used this pattern from TidBits, but decided not to make the hat. This is a birthday present for my niece, who turns two soon!


This is the only photo I have of laying the pattern out. You'll note I used some printer paper taped together. The fabric is a thin gingham cotton. There's also some thin white cotton too. The thinness didn't matter so much because the apron is layered. There are no photos of the other pieces being made; not even the ruffle!

The ruffle was made according to the pattern. The technique she uses is perfect! It creates an amazingly even ruffle. Basically you set the stitch length to the longest (mine only goes up to 4) and set your upper thread tension to the highest. As you sew, apply resistance to the upper thread. This essentially pulls the thread as you go, rather than pulling it afterwards. Genius!


Here you'll see I've assembled a number of parts. The pocket, ruffle, and neck-tie are all done. The pocket is a simple shape with two pleats, based off the pattern below:


Since it widens at the top, adding the pleats creates the straight sides. I added a band at the top. Instant adorable!


Pinning, pinning, pinning...


This is what the apron looked like after turning. So cute!

There is one problem - the measurements for the waist tie were too short. :\ So I had a short tie, and amazingly not enough fabric to make a new one.

It wasn't that hard to track down some plain white cotton so I soon finished.

An overview of the finished apron

Pocket! This doesn't show you that the white band doesn't
actually encompass that pocket-ness, so the inside
is kinda ugly. I don't think anyone will examine the inside of the
pocket too closely, though.

I added some adorable little buttons!

The ruffle! The material was folded in half lengthwise so I didn't have
to clean up the edge...haha!

Overall a lovely project. The apron is probably going to be too big for Mishka, but the ties are all adjustable, so she'll just have to grow into it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment