12 Jul 2012

Amigurumi Octopus Pincushion

After sewing an apron a couple of weeks ago, I came to the conclusion I was severely lacking a pincushion. Pincushions are great - not only are they useful, but they can be incredibly cute. I decided to take the pattern of a useless thing - an amigurumi octopus - and use it as a pincushion.

The pattern itself is very straightforward. I found I had to take a couple of rounds away from the ball to make a more spherical shape. Perhaps it was due to the yarn I am using, some sort of cream mercerised cotton. Louella doesn't really like it - she says it feels like burlap (it does). I made a crochet coinpurse with it some time ago. It is a fairly thick, rough thread - which makes for a fairly sturdy coinpurse.


Working the round

The completed pincushion

Yes, it is essentially a stuffed toy. But you can stick pins in it, and in the legs, too! I recently watch Coraline, and was worried the button eyes would freak me out. Gladly, it turned out to be rather cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment