4 Jan 2013

Needlebook and New Bits and Bobs

I was getting annoyed with the current storage solution for my sewing needles: the original packaging. I had no idea how to store them and ended up stumbling upon a concept called a "needlebook" - basically a fabric and felt wallet in which you store needles.

I decided to make my own one based loosely on this needlebook pattern by Ever Kelly.



I picked up some fat quarters when I was out shopping yesterday and chose a cute vine pattern to use. From my stash of buttons I chose a cream one little triangle indents.


This needlebook would not have taken so long if I had focused more when attaching the snaps. Before sewing the whole thing together I attached the two snaps. After turning the piece, I realised the snap was on the wrong side! Durr!

I then proceeded to sew the thing on upside down (sigh). I finally got it right on the third go, though.


While I didn't have felt, I had some wool scraps lying around that did the trick. I cut out a few squares and sewed them on to a fabric backing.


Then I had my first go at embroidery! Eek! It was so fun that I've decided to look into more techniques, and hopefully be able to add little pieces to the clothes I make in the future.


I used some interfacing for the back piece and the tab to give it some stability. Along with the topstitching, I stitched two lines down the middle to simulate a spine.

This is far better than keeping the plastic packets or losing them in pin cushions!

A gift I got for Christmas was a $50 Spotlight voucher (thanks Chris!) so I put it to use yesterday. $68 worth of supplies for $18 - not bad at all!


I bought a few embroidery skeins. There were so many colours - I was overwhelmed! I also re-purposed a body lotion container to hold all of my thread.


Along with the embroidery, I bought:

  • Bobbins with a plastic container
  • A small embroidery hoop
  • A tool for stamping rivets (plus some rivets)
  • Beeswax
  • Some fat quarters
  • White elastic
  • Clear elastic
  • Black millenary elastic
  • A large, clear ruler 

Basically all the things I've been thinking about buying, but never have because I didn't really need them. All except for the clear ruler which has proved invaluable already!

No comments:

Post a Comment