13 Jan 2013

Mint Seersucker Dress - Hemming

Part One • Part Two

So after buying some extra yardage, I cut out the rest of the skirt sections. Instead of three sections, I cut four, so that I could easily insert the side pocket.

Here's the finished bodice:


I think the bust it still a little off. I'm probably going to tack down the facings as they are only slip-stitched to each other.

So the part that has been the most tedious of this dress has been the hemming. Four metres of bias binding, then four metres of hand-stitched slip-stitching. It took about six hours all up...I don't think I'm even exaggerating.

The good part is it looks neat, so I'm pretty proud.


I didn't have any cream binding left, so I used a dark green that I had left over from the Butterick 50s Dress.

I love pockets in dresses, so I added one!


A technique I've used a lot in this dress is stay-stitching, which keeps the inner fabric peeking up and showing on the outside. I used it on the pocket, neckline, and arm holes. The pocket looks good, but the opening is too large. I should be able to fix this fairly easily by just sewing in the right spot.

I have actually gathered the skirt (that also took forever) and sewn it to the bodice, but it needs tidying up. The gathering stitch is peeking through in one spot, and a bit of gathering got caught awkwardly so looks off. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of this part!

There's not much left to do, apart from finishing a few bits and pieces, sewing in the zipper, and stabilising the waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment