28 Jan 2013

Creeper Crochet Blanket - Complete

Talk about a long haul! I started this project in October of 2011. It has nearly been a year and a half!


I'm very happy with the results. Afghan blankets take a lot of effort to make, it turns out.

I cheated with the last row - I couldn't find any more aqua so I just replaced the aqua square with the light green.


The border uses this crochet puff stitch edging tutorial, and turned out pretty good. I was going to use black, but I figured it would look to harsh so opted for the dark green instead. Turns out it was a good decision as the puff stitch uses a lot of yarn, and I didn't really have that much black.

I'm pretty excited to test it out when the weather gets a little colder!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of attempting this for my nearly 7 year old, mine craft obsessed son. I'd probably just do classic granny squares. I'm just wondering how big to make them and how many I'd need to make for a twin sized blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one above is a relatively small blanket, just about single-bed sized. You could either increase the size of the squares or just continue with the pattern - I can generate a pattern for you based on however many colours you want to use, and how big you want it, if you like (I've got the creeper texture on my computer) :)

      Delete
    2. That'd be awesome! :-) I'm thinking of only using at the most 4 colors but the colors you used in this one seem like they'd work good too. Nice and simple. I'm thinking 5 row, basic granny squares... is that right?

      Delete
    3. By the way, here's the pattern I used: http://mannerscrochetandcraft.blogspot.co.nz/2011/01/lullaby-blocks-afghan.html

      They are 3 round granny squares with a round of single crochet to finish. If you use larger blocks it will be quicker to make up, I think. :)

      I exported the texture to 5 colours (including black) and it looks good: http://i.imgur.com/udmDDi8.png

      It's bigger than the one I made so use however much of it you need.

      Now in terms of the pattern, I remember using about two 500g 4ply balls of yarn for each colour (bar black) and I used plain acrylic so it wasn't too expensive. Just make sure you can get enough of the colour :)

      I hope that helps - I would recommend making the face first with a one square row around the outside like I did, then just build up from there.

      Delete