25 Jan 2013

Low Carb Maple and Walnut Ice-Cream

I've been hankering for ice-cream lately. It's Summer, and it's hot, and all I want apart from to sit on the deck all day is some gosh-darn ice-cream!

I was initially going to make Keto mint choc chip ice-cream courtesy of Caveman Keto, but then my mind wandered to the sugar-free maple syrup I had sitting in the pantry.

This maple syrup uses Sucralose. After a bit of digging, I found that Sucralose produces pretty much no insulin/blood glucose spike.

Source
That's good enough for me!

I then found a Maple and Walnut Ice Cream recipe. Note how there is no extra sugar - the sweetness comes from the maple syrup. I prepared the custard as per the instructions. I couldn't resist taste-testing it along the way (more than a few times, I'll admit).

However, I still had a conundrum that needed solving. I had no ice-cream maker! A quick Google search led me to David leBovitz' freeze-and-stir method.

This method takes a long time, and it hadn't reached the right consistency when I wanted to go to bed. So the final result was a little icy, but still delicious! I would compare it to store-bought maple walnut ice-cream. Except, sugar free!

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment