10 Jan 2014

A Knitting Needle Holder

So I thought it was about time I learned to knit. Naturally I had to hoard knitting needles, and of course after that I had to make something to store them in. It's unseemly to have your knitting needles just lying about.

Based roughly on this knitting needle case tutorial, I created this thing!


I didn't like the way that the edges in the original tutorial were left unfinished, so after sewing the pockets to the back, I encompassed everything in another square of fabric and turned it, then top-stitched around the outside.

Since none of my needles matched I didn't want them sticking out the top, so I made sure the case was tall enough to cover them up, unlike the tutorial where the needles are pretty enough to be displayed. Blush.

I also spent about an hour on a couple of straps made from the same fabric, but they were too stiff to tie up. Instead, feeling thrifty, I sewed up a length of bias binding with white thread and called it a unique feature.


When it's bound up it looks like some sort of magical scroll!


Which is rather fitting when you check out these 5.5mm needles I picked up from an op shop. They are definitely wizard wands!


I also tied the needle gauge to one of the ties. pretty handy for checking the sizes of the needles.

I've actually already finished one amazing knitting project - a scarf! Wow! It doesn't even have tassels. But it deserves its own blog post as the first thing I knitted without holes all through it. I'm going to call it either the Adventure Time Scarf, or the Scarf of Finn, because...well, you'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment