4 Nov 2012

King Arthur - Tunic nearly complete

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

Yesterday I got started on the tunic! This material is fairly thick and coarse - fitting for a medieval tunic. I cut out two near-identical pieces (the neckline was lower on the front piece). I also split the pattern in half and cut out two pieces from the gold fabric to use as a lining.


After cutting everything out I secured the top edge of the gold lining - this would be sitting around the waistline.


I didn't get many photos of the actual construction of the tunic because it got dark and I couldn't be bothered getting the tripod out. Construction was pretty straightforward - I sewed the linings to the tunic and turned it, then sewed the rest of the tunic together, securing the seams with a zig-zag stitch.

Now, on the original costume the bottom edge had some plain gold binding or ribbon along it. I found some other ribbon at Geoff's Emporium that was a little more decorative. It was really fun sewing this on!


After this I have to figure out how I'm going to make the sun graphic on the front. I will probably end up simply painting it on with acrylic. I will also need to finish the chainmail top, and sort out how I'm going to make the small bits of armour like the gauntlets.

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

No comments:

Post a Comment