4 Nov 2012

King Arthur - Gauntlets

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

So I've heard a lot about making armour from foam, and thought I might try it out in order to make King Arthur's gauntlets.


I took a screenshot from the movie to try and get a better picture of how his gauntlets are constructed. I mocked up some patterns on paper, then cut them out to use as a template.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to find any craft foam, and had no luck at The Warehouse or Warehouse Stationery. Fortunately, Spotlight pulled through and I bought a whole stack of foam sheets! I also got a bias-binder-maker and some extra hot glue sticks.


I picked out the white sheets and traced the template onto them, then cut all the pieces out.


After holding each piece (very, very) briefly over a gas element (note: not in the fire, above the fire) I bent each piece into shape. It was so fun!


In the reference pic above you'll see there are a bunch of rivets or something along the outside of the main gauntlet piece. I couldn't figure out how to make a nice hot glue sphere without putting it right on the edge, so it's not exactly the same as the real thing. It looks pretty messy but hopefully after paint has been added it'll look much tidier.


This is roughly how it will be put together. I was initially going to just glue it together, but it needs to be fairly flexible. I'm thinking I'll cut out a sort of mitt from fabric that lays on top of the 'chainmail'. It'll wrap around where necessary to secure it in place. Either that or I'll just glue it to the chainmail glove!


I also bought some spraypaint while I was out. First I'll use it on the armour, but I should also see what kind of effect it has on the yarn.

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

No comments:

Post a Comment