5 Nov 2012

King Arthur - Painting and Assembling the Gauntlets

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

And so the painting began!

I had so much trouble with this, and let me tell you why...

First of all, it was a slightly windy day, and the things I was spraypainting are made of foam. This, combined with the forceful propellant of the spraypaint made the pieces jump all over the place.

My solution was to construct a sort of cardboard fortress inside the garage, open the door and windows, and spraypaint inside, away from the wind. So much better.



The pieces worryingly curled up after being painted, but let go after the paint dried.


I guess I should have used the black foam, seeing as I needed to paint the back anyway.


While waiting for the paint to dry, I constructed the elbow armour. After putting it all together, I remembered that the sun on top is gold, and the rest is silver. This means I should have painted the sun and armour separately before gluing them together. Oops!



This is everything after I had weathered it. Weathering turned out to be so much more fun than the actual spraypainting! It made everything look so much more realistic.

I know I said I was going to have to plan out how to construct the final gauntlet, but I got too excited so I glued it all together anyway.



I basically used hot glue for everything. I'm hoping it stays together on the night...

Tomorrow I'll be painting the elbow armour and hopefully making a start on the crown-helmet. I'll also find a way to attach the gauntlets to my hands - most likely by sewing some straps using velcro and scrap material so I can put them on and take them off easily.

Part One • Part Two • Part Three • Part Four

No comments:

Post a Comment