12 Sept 2012

1950s Dress - Completed Top Half


Okay, the top half is now complete!



This pattern actually required sew-in interfacing, but I only had fusible interfacing. No matter!


The difficult part of this top is probably the neckline. There's interfacing and facing in there. The facing needs to be clipped so it can be turned, and the interfacing needs to not get in the way. Fortunately everything lined up (a good reason to cut exactly on the line, and have the markings in the right places) and I sewed everything together. I tacked the facing down to keep it from popping out the top (a real problem!).


Here's a close-up of the sleeve hem. More binding! I love binding.

At this point I tried the top on (fun) and it is an okay fit. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Next up is to attach the skirt half to the top, then create some sort of hem. This will be a good opportunity to try making a blind hem using the sewing machine. Oh, and I need to buy more binding! The sleeves pretty much finished it off, and I want to bind the side seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment