3 Mar 2015

Cosplay Shenanigans: Me Tarzan, You Petticoat

My weekly post has degraded into a fortnightly one, but I have an excuse - I climbed Mt Taranaki this weekend!


Not exactly cosplay related, but it was cool! It also meant I had no time on the weekend to work on Jane!

I have got a bit of progress to show, however. I found this wonderful tutorial on how to make a Victorian petticoat. Thankfully mine didn't have to be floor length. I dug out a couple of metres of white cotton that I don't remember buying, let alone what I bought it for. Now it's going to become a petticoat!


After cutting all the pieces out, I started assembling the frills. Messed up a bit by not making them long enough. I made them twice as long as the across-back measurement, not twice as long as the actual back piece. Whoops! I reduced my four frills to three, and split one between two of the others to make it longer.


With my overlocker working really well right now, I joined the trim to all the frills, and assembled the front and side panels.


Each frill was then gathered and sewn down onto the back panel.


I decided to use elastic to gather the back, because I'm lazy and it means it will fit over my head.


Then the side panels were sewn to the back, catching the frills along the way.


And here's the result when worn over the bustle. So poofy! Now I need to trim the bottom, attach the lace, then start ripping it all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment