15 Oct 2013

Simplicity 2727 (1958)

Simplicity 2727 is an adorable jacket plus dress combo from 1958. The jacket features kimono sleeves and six buttons, while the dress features princess lines, side panels, and a darling little bow.

I wish I could remember what the fabric I used was. Both were cotton blends, and the dress material had a bit of stretch to it, and on the right side had an interesting diagonal weave.



I don't have any photos from when I was making the outfit, unfortunately. Mainly because I started sewing about three and a half weeks before the wedding!

I added belt carriers to the dress as the belt flopped down a bit. I didn't want to attach it too tightly, or else the fabric would bunch too much.

This was also the first time I've made a jacket! I used the dress fabric for the lining, and I happened to have some very pretty buttons lying around.

This was definitely a big challenge for me. The dress wasn't as simple a pattern as I thought - the side panels were a particularly difficult learning curve. However (with the coaxing of Louella) I made toiles for both the jacket and dress, and remade them where necessary. It is a crucial part of making the garment, I've discovered!

I am very pleased with the jacket. It is comfortable and warm, and fits well. The dress has a lot of sewing flaws, but I was in such a rush I couldn't fix them!

All an all an enjoyable project, minus the stress of making it in a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment