18 Dec 2012

Mishka's Capelet

It's been full steam ahead the last couple of weeks for Christmas presents (last minute; I know).

For a while I had the idea of making a wee cape for my niece Mishka based on this tutorial.



In the weekend I went to the fabric store and got some gorgeous houndstooth wool/cotton/viscose blend, also some embroidered satin. Since the wool blend was not 100% wool it was pretty cheap, as was the satin (100% polyester).

I always buy too much fabric (except for the mint seersucker dress I will post about soon), and this time I bought at least a metre too much. I'll find something to make out of the houndstooth because it is soooo pretty!


The first step is to cut and sew the lining.


And the same with the outer fabric.


And then stitch it all together and turn.

Most of the lining is stay-stitched to keep in on the inside, which introduced me to another problem - you can see at the bottom it has too much fabric. I'll have to remember to either increase the seam allowance in the lining or cut the lining smaller next time!

Also, the opening edge is not stay-stitched, because I forgot, and also didn't leave a large enough (or close enough) opening to do so. Stay-stitching all around requires a lot of planning!


I also bought some darling little buttons, and had a go at hand stitching a buttonhole for the first time. It is a little messy but it was really fun. My Vogue Sewing book was a huge help. It had a detailed explanation of placement and sewing of the buttonhole and button.


The leftmost button is decorative, and the little piece beneath it is sewn all around to the houndstooth.

I'm immensely proud of this project. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of her actually wearing it (and I hope it fits, haahaa).

No comments:

Post a Comment