6 Sept 2014

Korra Cosplay - Shirt, part 2

I last left Korra's top with the majority of it complete, save for the armholes and other finishing details.


Hemming was fairly painless. I overlocked the edge, then turned it over and sewed it down with the twin needle.


The next part was pretty daunting - sewing together the white armhole trim. The muslin fit together pretty well. I couldn't find a similar fabric in white, so I got some plain jersey instead. This meant the armholes would be made of a much thinner material than the main body.

To give the armholes some rigidity, I drafted up some facing patterns and reinforced them with some interfacing.


I was so paranoid that I would put these on the wrong way. Pinning everything together and sewing one step at a time insured I didn't sew anything backwards.

I did do one thing wrong, though. Instead of sewing the facings together, then the armholes together, and then attaching it all, I sewed the facings to the armholes first. This meant that the shoulder seams weren't self-enclosing, so I had to do some tidy-up afterwards to hide the seams from the outside.


Apart from that, a good pressing and it's looking good!


I wore it around the house for a bit while I packed up, and I can assure you that it is mighty comfy. I'm just hoping it won't be too hot for Armageddon.


At this point I still hadn't made the closure for the back (it was a bit of a mess - untidy bias binding, rough stitching).

I made some binding from the shirt material and enclosed the gap. Then I continued the neck binding around the top, sealing it all off.

I found a button in my stash that is quite pretty (and sort of water-tribey, I thought) and made a little loop out of some cording to fasten it.


I anticipated the top to be the hardest part of the costume, and it certainly was a big challenge - but I've since started on the fur wrap and it's turned into a much bigger beast than I had imagined it could be...


Next post: Korra's fur wrap

No comments:

Post a Comment